Saturday 26 September 2009

Religion

Iyah! Well, today I've decided to rant about religion. Clearly from that statement I am not religious... 100% Atheist. I don't intend to offend anyone, so I apologise if I do.

I don't personally have a problem with the idea of religion, it's a belief system that has hundreds of followers. It provides comfort to those who are scared of death, it gives people something to live for in the sense that they do good all their life to get into heaven, to be re-united with god, if they do bad and don't confess and that, they go to hell ... quite simple really. But over the 2000 years it's been around, or more in some religions, it's been twisted in a brutal game of Chinese whispers. I did Religious Studies for GCSE, not an amazing qualification but it was an easy B. But that's just to say yes I know about God's divine plan ... but God's divine plan seems to be a get out clause for every unanswerable question.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with the majority of religion, people are entitled to believe in what they believe in ... who am I to stop that? But by the same token, I also have the FREE WILL to not believe in god, so I don't take kindly to people stopping me on a busy high street while I'm shopping, well not that at all really.
I just so happened to be walking down the high street in Lincoln, when an old man stopped me, he seemed kind enough, I didn't know what he wanted to talk to me about, until he asked me if I was a believer ... I answered no. He seemed astonished! Most kids of today aren't religious! But he carried on, and I had to politely stop him because I was late for meeting up with a friend, but no he wanted to enforce the "words of our Lord upon me", I apologised a second time and said I had to go but he insisted that I stayed, shoving numerous amount of leaflets in my hand. I was starting to get a little angry, especially when I noticed that on the board he was preaching from didn't even have Genesis spelled correctly. Time managed to pass while he's ranting away and I can't get a word in edge ways, every time I tried to leave he pulled me back ... he was intent on making me listen. It didn't take much time for me to lose patience, and yeah I had a go ... I was being kept against my will ... yes I could have legged it, but I'm polite, or try to be ... So anyway there's now two of us, shouting in the middle of the high street, one for god, and one against. He tried the "oooooh you'll go to hell" ... SO WHAT MAN?! I haven't done anything wrong, according to the 10 commandments I'm a perfect christian, but for not believing in God I'm going to hell ... I'd rather be in hell with the open minded people than in heaven with at least some narrow minded people, I can't say all.

Point of the matter is, religious people seem to turn their nose up at me, because I don't believe. I do believe, I believe that we grow up, to reproduce, look after our young, continue looking after them, until I die, having a fun and happy life on the way ... you die and maybe their is energies from our bodies, we do have electrical current running through us, so we have electrons, and were made up of atoms ... and we attract to those kind of things, that is my belief. So why do I have to argue with people I don't know, in the middle of the street, or on my own doorstep.That's what really gets me, you open the door, and people will actually start a debate with you there and then ON YOUR OWN FLIPPIN' DOORSTEP!

If I don't believe ... leave it at that ... I let you believe and don't try and sway your decision, I leave it at the fact that you believe ... I HAVE FREE WILL LEAVE ME ALONE!

At the end of the day, this might not be the best blog ever but seriously, in modern day society and the way we have excelled in technology, why oh why are people still following a 2000 year old book? ... that was written by men, in a patriarchal society ... religions frown upon discrimination, racism and inequality, but you discriminate against us non-believers, or half believers ... what's more discriminative than the bible. It was Eve's fault her and Adam got chucked out of the Garden of Eden, because she persuaded him to eat the forbidden fruit. This is why women "should suffer" with menstruation, child birth. Its women that created original sin ... This is why people get christened, well actually it's because infant immortality rate was high at some point in history and to be cleared of the original sin that you were born with you had to be baptised, so parents had their children baptised at an early age so if they died, they'd go to heaven. Surely if we're all God's children, God isn't going to let a helpless infant that's turned up at his gates go to the firey pits of hell. The bible was written in a time where "women knew nothing" ... equal opportunities and everything ... why did it take 1994 years for females to be ordained and be counted as part of the Church of England ... because of the bible, written by men, told by men and made up by men. How many ethnic apostles were there? Love thy neighbour as you would love yourself ... whatever it is ... what about all that business with the black slaves ... am not a historian and true, I don't know much about any of these but there has been so many times, when people higher up have treated people "lower" than them like shit on their shoe, for flips sake were all human, doesn't matter about race, nationality, hair colour, sexuality, ANYTHING, if biologically and scientifically your catagory is human WHY ARGUE? WHY FIGHT? Of course, in this world not everyone is going to get on with everyone but can't you just ignore the people you don't like, even if they can't do it to you, your one step ahead for being an adult about things ... AND WITH ANY RELIGION ... what is this whole thing about must have place of worship, worship starts at the home ... and stays at home, a church wasn't originally a nice ornate building for people to go listen to someone read from a book they've already read ... a church meant a gathering of people with the same belief. Since when has god ever said he wanted you to build a place of worship ... worship in the places he apparently gave you, a nice meadow, nice forest, beautiful landscape? Who gives a flying poo if it's raining, you have commitments to your belief ... a simple creation like rain shouldn't bother you. I once asked the question "If Religion didn't have a names and all this segregation between religions, would there be less war?" to which my Catholic RE teacher replied with the biased view of "don't be ridiculous, it's like me not calling you by your name" ... clearly she was caught of guard and didn't have an answer and wasn't quick enough to come out with the all famous "It's god's divine plan" which would have fitted no better than what she actually replied with. Since then I've asked many people the same question, and they all think I'm right. If religion was just, people are religious, they believe in something, who could say their religion was the right one? Or better than someone else's belief? Jesus died on the cross to stop the Jews thinking smugly of themselves and looking down on the Gentiles ... so why has it come to segregation of religions again?

Thanks for reading =) Again, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, I didn't mean you in the general sense counting everyone. Toodle-pip =)

3 comments:

  1. You got very good points...My friend has some similar views like you...
    And you are right...That if you don't stop people from believing....people should not force you either...and yeah this was soo funnyy...
    "This is why women "should suffer"..." (Y)
    Good one...
    Keep it up =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao you have no idea how excited I got over that comment, well done, you stole comment virginity ... my first comment =) glad ya enjoyed it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey rudey you have some very good points, and also some of the same views as me...
    In my eyes religion was invented as an opiate of the masses, especially christianity, which makes you feel bad for doing all the things you enjoy in life. These people waste their lives away, worshipping the ceiling being mindless drones in the hope that they will go to heaven and live happily ever after, when in reality you only get the one life and you should make the most of it while you can....
    And if I'm wrong and you die and find out there is a god, then I'm sure he won't throw you into the firey pits for not worshipping him...
    Nice post, keep blogging I think you have some very important things to say..

    ReplyDelete